The Maids of Portland, Maine

Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Products You Should Avoid Having In Your House

It is very upsetting to note that, given poor government regulations, many cleaning products available on the market today contain carcinogens such as formaldehyde, nitrobenzene, methylene as well as reproductive toxins and hormone disruptors. Other products contain ingredients that cause liver, kidney and brain damage as well as allergies and asthma. In addition to cleaners there are also a host of products that often contain carcinogenic and you should avoid having them in your home at all cost!

1.) Air Fresheners- Air fresheners contain napthelene and formaldehyde. It is best to remove bad odors, not mask them. Several ways to do this is: Open a window, empty the garbage frequently, burn 100% pure beeswax candles with 100% cotton wicks, use an open box of baking soda for really smelly rooms and use indoor plants to clear carbon dioxide and other toxins. Perfume the air with natural scents. Simmer cinnamon and cloves, fresh ginger or herbs in water on the stove top. Or, simmer water with a drop or two of your favorite pure essential oil.

2.) Art Supplies- Epoxy and rubber cement glues, acrylic paints and solvents, and permanent markers often contain carcinogens. I painting and print making, ready-mixed water based paints or ink can be used. Ventilate the space thoroughly whenever using any solvent and use lead-free enamels whenever possible.

3.) Automotive Supplies- Most are toxic. Keep them safely away from the house and dispose of at a hazardous waste disposal center.

4.) Carpet and Upholstery Shampoos-Use only wet-clean natural ingredients.

5.) Flea, Tick and Lice Control- Avoid linden-based pesticides.

Friday, November 2, 2012

Cleaning Mold Naturally and Safely

It is probably no surprise to hear that mold is associated with respiratory health problems. It is often prevalent in our bathrooms because they are the dampest rooms in the house and the grout between tile is usually the first place that mold breeds. You may be surprised to learn that there is one product that can help you keep your grout looking great and it's safe to use. It is also odorless and inexpensive. That product is hydrogen peroxide!

To reduce mold from your grout combine one cup water and 1/2 cup 3% hydrogen peroxide solution in a spray bottle. Spray the mixture onto the moldy areas and do not rinse off. It is important to note that hydrogen peroxide loses its mold-busting power when exposed to air, so mix up only the amount you want to use per treatment.

To keep mold from occurring in the first place, make sure you have installed an exhaust fan that has enough air movement to remove the moisture and be sure it is vented to the outside. Think about leaving a light on in your bathroom as mold dislikes light. Also, change your towels and rugs frequently to reduce moisture.