The Maids of Portland, Maine

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Mold Poisoning: The Hidden Factor In Many Chronic Illnesses

The official start of summer is almost here, and warmer weather means we get a break from cold and flu season, right? Not if your “summer cold” is actually being caused by allergies, particularly mold allergies. The hottest months of the year offer great times for many activities; but for people with mold sensitivities who live in damp areas, this season can be especially difficult.
When temperatures rise, molds that were relatively dormant during winter come to life and “bloom” into surrounding environments, spreading spores and wreaking health havoc — mostly among people who are predisposed to mold toxicity. And as we’re finding out, that population may be fairly high. Furthermore, water-damaged buildings are an increasing problem; and other compounding factors, including heavy metal exposure or bacterial infections, can make symptoms much worse.

There are thousands of diverse species of this type of fungus, and mold spores can be found just about everywhere — even in dry desert areas. But they are especially prevalent in damp, humid and warm environments. Ravaging floodwaters caused by storms such as Superstorm Sandy subside; but in their wake, they leave devastating water damage. As summer approaches, these post-flood areas become susceptible to serious mold toxicity. Black molds (Stachybotrys chartarum and Stachybotrys chlorohalonata) are the most dangerous to human health, and they are commonly found in wet basements and other water-damaged areas of a building. Physical exposure occurs mainly through the lungs and/or digestive tract.

Overlapping Symptoms
Symptoms of mold toxicity can resemble other illnesses such as chronic fatigue and fibromyalgia. Neurotoxicity is a significant issue, since mold — particularly black mold — produces neurotoxins that can cause serious, long-term health damage. The list of symptoms is long and many are general. Here are some of the primary ones that can eventually progress to serious debilities if exposure continues:
  • Fatigue
  • Chronic sinus infection
  • Headaches
  • Respiratory symptoms
  • Sensitivity to light
  • Muscle and joint pain
  • Confusion and memory loss/brain fog
  • Blurred vision
  • Skin rash
  • Numbness and tingling

Even if you don’t believe yourself to be mold-sensitive, these harmful invaders need to be avoided as much as possible. But if you do have mold poisoning, avoidance is priority No. 1 — even if it means you have to move. Avoidance is the hardest aspect of mold treatment and the main reason that people can’t recover from chronic mold toxicity. No matter how much treatment you undergo, without eradicating the fungus from your living and work environments, symptoms continue to progress. And because mold can hide undetected, it sometimes takes a mold-remediation expert to test your home. But here’s a tip: If there is any water damage, it’s almost certain that mold is growing there.

Courtesy of: Easy Health Options